Friday, July 10, 2009

6 months to the day

I woke up this morning to some cold mountains, loud city buses and the knowledge that the weekend is right around the corner. I glanced over at my calendar in hopes to see a holiday coming up soon (Score! This Thursday the city takes yet another day off)and I realized that the date is July 10th. I kinda stared at it behind sleepy eyes for a moment, and I quickly realized that July 10th marks half a year of living here.

Although it's not exactly a huge milestone, it is the first significant one I can think of. In six months, I have created a completely different life, made new friends, got a real job and I've done it all in a new country and a language other than my own.

I remember quite clearly arriving here in Chile. I hadn't slept in about two days, I got fined at the airport for "smuggling" an apple in from Florida, I got ripped off in the taxi (because I was a tired, apple-stealing gringa), and everything looked new, scary and exciting. I walked the city for days, I learned the streets and the metros and I slowly started to let Santiago seem into my pores (literally...its filthy here).

6 months later I have moved twice, I have made a ton of new friends (additional family, if you will) and I have a job that I really enjoy. I thought about that as I walked to work in the cold this morning. I thought about how in 6 short months I have built something out of nothing. I landed on empty shores and built a hut, then a road, then I started a small town (I just need a bank...). The sounds of the buses no longer shake me as they pass, the streets no longer intimidate me, and I am no longer a stranger to Santiago.


Well, its back to work for now.
I miss you all.

Keep the hugs flowing and flying, and I'll try to catch a few.

much much love.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I haven't checked your blog until today Kiddo. Hard to believe it is six months. I hope the rest of your stay goes as fast so that we see you again soon. We all miss you

    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete