Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I hope you found what you were looking for

Someone ended a brief online note to me recently with "I hope you found what you were looking for in Chile...Safest journey home". That got me thinking about my reasoning for coming on this journey, what I was seeking at the time, and if I have found it or not.

I don't really know why I came to Chile. I have been asked that about 239892382 times here. "Por qué Chile? (Why Chile?)". I often stare at them before I come close to answering "Im asking myself the same question...", but all that usually comes out is "I.don't.know". I know that I came to South America to solidify my Spanish and learn about a new culture, but aside from that did I come looking for anything?

I think as the year is coming closer to a close, I have realized that in some form or another I came looking for parts of myself that I could only find with distance and time. I came looking to hold my own hand along the rough roads to know that it was possible before taking the next steps into the whirlwinds that will keep me going for a long time.

Sometimes I think I also came this far to find my "safest journey home". Where is home? Home is where the people you love surround you...I have created a small home here because I have had the pleasure of being involved in friendships that have turned into family and experiences that have been stitched to my soul, but ultimately I know that there will be a return ticket.

This experience is incredible everyday because Im using my brain in ways I never thought I would, Im learning things I never imagined, and Ive created a web of people that have kept me safe and sane throughout it all. I am still amazed at all facets of the world I am seeing, and even moreso at all the facets of myself that are included.

Quite a lot to ponder.


Keep the hugs flowing

3 comments:

  1. hello alejandrita,
    I hope you continue to enjoy this crazy city, which only needs more crazys, but of those who give joy to people, as you


    you know who I am, just by reading you name

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss you, love you, and cant wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will find what you are looking for right here when you get home. Can't wait

    Love

    ReplyDelete